Bihar hooch tragedy: Death toll rises to 30, several people still hospitalised | India News


NEW DELHI: The death toll in hooch tragedy in Saran district of Bihar has risen to 30 while several people are still undergoing treatment.
The incident triggered an uproar in Bihar assembly on Wednesday, with opposition leaders mounting a strong attack on chief minister Nitish Kumar targeting the state government over prohibition of alcohol in the state. Later, Nitish Kumar lost his cool in the assembly and lashed out at opposition saying ”Sharabi ho gaye ho tum…(you are drunk)”.
The sale and consumption of alcohol were banned in Bihar by the Nitish government in 2016.
Here are the latest developments:

  • Marhaura sub-divisional police officer has been transferred and Masrakh SHO Ritesh Mishra and constable Vikesh Tiwari have been suspended with immediate effect over the incident.
  • According to Sunil Kumar, the state’s minister for prohibition, the deaths have been reported from Mashrak and Isuapur police station areas of Saran.
  • Dr Sagar Dulal Sinha, the Civil Surgeon-cum-Medical Officer In-charge of Saran, said, “Most of them were declared dead at a hospital in Chhapra, the district headquarters. Some, who had been ill since Tuesday morning, died while undergoing treatment”.
  • The district administration has constituted teams of officials, who will tour the affected villages and meet the bereaved families to track down those who might have served illicit liquor.
  • Leader of the opposition Vijay Kumar Sinha of BJP blamed the illegal supply of liquor for law-and-order problems in Bihar, saying prohibition had spawned a new breed of criminal elements rather than curbing crime.
  • State parliamentary affairs minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary said there was nothing wrong with prohibition but admitted “a sound mechanism” was required to implement it.
  • After the deaths, the angry villagers blocked the Masrakh Hanuman Chowk on State Highway – 90 by keeping the bodies on the road. Locals raised slogans against the district administration. A heavy police force was deployed to control the situation.

Source link

Leave a Comment